Keeping on with the gift ideas, today I am sharing how to make a Pin Cushion Dish
I purchased these from the ‘cheap’ shop some time ago because they looked like something I could use! 🙂
They are dip bowls and as you can see, two for $5.99.
This is how I used them to make a Pin Cushion Dish!
What you need:
Scrap of fabric about 9″ square
Needle and thread
Glue (I used a glue gun)
Ribbon to trim
- Trace around a bowl about 9′ or 23 cm in diameter
2. Run a row of stitches around 1/4″ in from the edge – I did this by hand using double thread and starting with a knot.
3. Gather it up
4. Stuff it with whatever you like in a pincushion – I used polyfill
5. Check to see if it looks puffy enough and then tie it off.
6. Using a glue gun, run glue over the base and around the upper edge of the dish and push the pin cushion into the glue. I held it till the glue cooled.
7. Trim with a ribbon scrap to cover the dish edge. I joined the ends on the side facing the empty dish.
Make it in a favourite colour, add some pins or threads and there you have it – a lovely, very useful (and very cheap) gift for the sewists in your life!
I hope this inspires you to look at simple objects in a different way – Take a dip bowl and make it into a Pin Cushion Dish – who’d have thought!
Until next time