Today we will be making Block number 15 in our 9 Patch Sampler, the Ohio Star.
WHAT YOU NEED:
LIGHT: 5 x 5″ squares
DARK: 3 x 5″ squares
OTHER: 1 x 5″ square
- Take a DARK and an OTHER and make into HSTs using our narrow 1/8″ seam again
- Take a LIGHT and a DARK and make HSTs using our narrow 1/8′ seam again
3. Rule a diagonal across the LIGHT/DARK squares
4. Place the LIGHT/DARK squares on top of the DARK/OTHER squares with the seams on top of each other.
5. Put a pin through where the line meets the seam and then turn it over so you can see that the pin comes through at the same point on the other square
6. Pin along the seam line – the pin will lie across the line you have drawn
7. Stitch either side of the line using our narrow 1/8″ seam and cut on the line (as you do when making HSTs) and you will have Hourglass squares
with perfect joins
6. Trim your Hourglass squares by:
Placing the 2.25″ mark on your rule on the point where all seams intersect
where the unpicker is pointing
8. Trim the top and side .
9. Now turn the square and repeat using the 4.5″ line along the side and bottom and the 2.25″ mark on the centre point again. Trim the other two sides.
10. Organise your squares
11. Sew your 9 Patch and press. Admire your Ohio Star.
Great job! You are a STAR!
We now have one more block to go – can you guess what it will be?
Until next time
All links to the Blocks can be found here.