Today we are going to make a Birds in the Air quilt block using charm squares. As with any of the blocks, you may choose to use a different combination of LIGHT, DARK and OTHER – there is no right or wrong!
WHAT YOU NEED:
DARK : 5 x 5″ squares
LIGHT: 4 x 5″ squares
OTHER: 2 x 5″ squares
- Make 2 DARK and 2 LIGHT into HST’s
- Repeat using 2 LIGHT and 2 OTHER
- Take one of each of these and put aside (you will not need them here)
- Trim the HST’s and the remaining DARK squares to 4.5″
- Organise your squares:
6. Sew your 9 patch and press
NANNY NOTE: You will have 1/4″ seams on the outer edges of your triangles. A photo mishap meant that this was taken after it was added to the quilt top, hence it appears to finish at the points.
I really like this one! Of course you can see that if you were using it in a quilt you could save a lot of work by cutting the large triangle formed by the DARK in this case as a single triangle.
Until next time