Today we are going to make the 7th block in our 9 Patch Sampler. We are going to make a Spool block using our Charm Squares.
The spool is so called because it is designed to look like a spool of thread. With more experience, you will be able to vary the size and shape of the spool, but for today, we will stay with our 4.5″ squares made into a 9 patch.
WHAT YOU NEED:
The Spool is the first block where we will be introducing another fabric to our 9 patches – I have called it OTHER so I now have, DARK, LIGHT and OTHER. It is simply an accent fabric that will add to the design. I am using Black and you can see that it represents the thread on the spool.
Dark: 4 x 5″ squares – 2 are left at 5″ and the other 2 are trimmed to 4.5″
Light: 4 x 5″ squares – 2 are left at 5″ and the other 2 are trimmed to 4.5″
Other: 1 x 5″ square – trimmed to 4.5″ (this is the thread on the spool)
- Take the two 5″ Dark and Light and make 4 HST’s
- diagonal line
- scant 1/4″ either side of line
- cut between the lines
- trim to 4.5″ and press OR press and trim to 4.5″
2. Sew a 4.5″ Light either side of the 4.5″ Other
YOU NOW HAVE :
- 2 x 4.5″ Dark
- 4 x 4.5″ HSTs
- Light – Other – Light
3. Organise your squares:
4. Sew your 9 Patch. Take care to match the joins carefully to finish the spool.
5. Press and add it to your growing samples.
Thank you for sharing your photos to our Facebook page Nanny Sews and Crafts – it is fun to see how different each block looks with the different fabric choices!
Until next time