Today we are going to make a Churn Dash block from our charm squares. The Churn Dash is a popular block and you will see many variations of it.
WHAT YOU NEED:
DARK: 4 x 5″ squares
LIGHT: 5 x 5″ squares
1. Trim 1 x Light to 4.5″ square
2. Take 2 light and 2 dark squares :
- Take the light squares and fold in half and finger press or draw a line down the centre.
- Place the light square and a dark square, right sides together and sew a scant 1/4″ either side of the centre line. (better too scant than not enough)
- Cut along the line between the two rows of stitching.
NANNY TIP: If you are using a Directional fabric, you will need to join one pair of squares in one direction and the other pair in the other direction
3. Take 2 x light and 2 Dark squares and make HSTs (Half Square Triangles)
NANNY TIP: If using a directional fabric, fold the squares along the diagonal to check that you have the right direction before you mark and sew
- diagonal line
- scant 1/4″ either side of line
- cut between the lines
4. Trim all squares to 4.5″
5. Organise your squares:
6. Sew your 9 patch and press.
That completes our Churn Dash – Block number 8 of our 9 Patch Sampler. We are now half way through and I am loving seeing your finished blocks so thanks for sharing!
Until next time