Today we are going to make a Shoo Fly Block from charm squares. Shoo Fly is a common block used in quilting.
WHAT YOU NEED:
Dark: 3 x 5″ squares
Light: 6 x 5″ squares
Nanny Note: You will notice that I have used a directional fabric here, but because it is a busy print, I wasn’t concerned that it would spoil the effect of the block.
- Trim 4 Light and 1 Dark to 4.5″ squares
- Take the remaining 2 Dark and 2 Light and make Half Square Triangles
- diagonal line
- scant 1/4″ either side of line
- cut between the lines
- trim and press OR press and trim
3. Press toward the Dark
4. Organise your squares
Nanny Note: I could have turned the 4.5″ squares to make it all directional but did it this way to demonstrate the difference. If it offends you aesthetically, make sure you have them all facing the same direction!
5. Sew and press your 9 Patch
Now, as that was so easy, I am going to post another block this week using the same recipe!
Until next time