My grand daughter was coming to visit over the long weekend and she asked if I could make her a bag to keep her character dance shoes in, so I thought I would share how to make a lined, ruffle top, drawstring bag.
Finished size: Approx 9.5″ x 15″
What you need:
FQ Fabric for outside
FQ Fabric for lining
1. Take the FQ’s , fold in half and cut 4.5″ from the length (Or adjust to fit)
2. Take the main fabric and with right sides together, sew down side and along the bottom. Repeat for the lining fabric.
Nanny note: I zigzagged the lining fabric because it frays so easily.
3. Turn the lining to the right side but leave the main fabric inside out.
4. Put the lining inside the bag (you will now have right sides together)
5. Starting by matching the side seams, pin the lining to the main and sew around the edge, leaving an opening for turning through.
6. Turn through
7. Push lining into the main bag and roll the seam between your thumbs and fingers to press.
8. Stitch around the top about 1 cm from the edge and again close to the edge.
9. Take your ribbon and cut it the width of the bag. You will need 2 pieces.
10. Take the ribbons and fold over 1cm on each end and then over again.
11. Stitch the ribbon ends
12. Centre the ribbon on the bag and decide how far down you want to put it – mine is 2″ to the bottom of the ribbon.
13. Stitch along the top and bottom of the ribbon, leaving the ends open.
14. Take your cord – I realised I did not have enough and when I went shopping decided on this Satin finish one and I even found some little beads to add as a trim!
15. Thread one ribbon through from the right, around and through the back .Thread the other from the left.
16. Thread the beads and tie off
Cut isn’t it!
This is such a versatile bag – it can be used for everything from a small gift bag to a large Santa Sack – just vary the size as necessary!
Until next time