If you wish to use novelty prints in your quilt, I would suggest you consider the following:
1. Is your novelty print directional? If it isn’t, then you will have no worries.
2. If it is directional you will need to take care in the placement direction of your squares within the 9 patch block.
3. There are a variety of ways that you can organise the cut-up 9 patch blocks and so you need to think about the final layout of your quilt to ensure the correct placement of your squares in the original 9 patch block.
1. This is the layout I will be demonstrating for the Quilt-A-Long.
You will need to position your novelty squares like this for half of the blocks ie 8 blocks
and like this for the other 8 blocks:
You may prefer one of these options:
2. This layout will end up with your novelty print surrounded by a border with corner squares. If you are using the same fabric for your ‘mediums’ you will have the effect of novelty prints and sashing.
If you like this look, you will have to position your novelty squares in the 9 patch like this:
3. This will have 4 novelty blocks joined and surrounded by a border. As you join the blocks you will have a double border around each group of 4 novelty prints.
You will need the novelty prints in this direction:
I hope this helps you with your novelty prints!
Until next time